The census is a reliable source of qualitative data for students to use in their research and assignments.
The Census of Population provides statistical data on Canada and Canadians. It is collected in five-year intervals and is used for decision making. It includes information on:
- Population and dwelling counts
- Sex at birth and gender
- Type of dwelling
- Families, households and marital status
- Canadian military experience
- Indigenous peoples
- Immigration, place of birth and citizenship
- Ethnocultural and religious diversity
- Mobility and migration
- Language of work
- Instruction in the official minority language
There is a research toolkit that explains the topics covered in the census, how to use it in research, and how to cite it.
The census data can be used in business plans, SWOT analysis, research reports on the psychology of Canadians, and more.